Welcome to the wonderful world of Evelyn Ilene!!!

Born December 1, 2008 at 3:57 pm, 7 lbs 10 oz, 19.5 inches

Monday, February 28, 2011

Gems



I recently read a book about an adoptive mother and her child. In one passage, the mother says something like "When you're blessed with a brilliant child, you polish her until she shines. The universe will make allowances." I love that idea...and the optimism behind it. It's the idea that there's a place for all of us in this world, and that sometimes we need to look past or (better yet) truly accept the "undesirable" or "different" traits in people to see their true worth. As a parent, I believe this is a crucial task.

You see, I believe that every child is brilliant in their own way, and they'll only shine brighter if you help them along. Some kids are better at math and science, others in the humanities, and still others have trouble finding that "thing" they're best at in school. Some kids are shy and need encouragement to socialize; others launch themselves into each new social situation with gusto. Some wear their hearts on the sleeves, and others are more stoic and reserved. Some kids can be bossy, and others a bit too passive. Some kids excel at sports, and others in music or other artistic endeavors. Some kids are patient, while others have trouble even taking the time to put on their coat before heading outside. You could view one of each of these constrasting categories as "good" and the other "bad" or at least "worse," or you could just view them as neutral possibilities that are just different.

Whatever Evie's strengths and "weaknesses" turn out to be, I hope that we can always remember to keep on polishing our very own little gem. If we do, I know that Evie's sweetness, spunk and beauty will continue to shine like they do today. Hopefully, even brighter, no matter what obstacles the "universe" may throw in her way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mom used to "polish" me as well. She would ask for dads hanky, (you know the one he would blow his nose in and then stuff it back in his back pocket) she would then spit on it and try to clean the dirt off the back of my neck...and boy did she "polish" hard. It was usually followed with "I guess it is an uneven tan - maybe we should cut your hair". Still, I feel shiny...
Uncle Todd